Sider

Sunday 18 November 2007

Comparisons

My inner editor is very strong or maybe a better term would be "Listened to". In Fraudian terms I think it is called Super Ego. So when I sit down to write something, anything, it begins. "This is booring", "Not enough flow", "Topic is used up". And this almost before I put anything down on paper. I used to like writing in secondary, and to a certain degree in highschool. In highscool it sort of dwindled because of a teacher who insisted I had to write my stories longer. (I used to write a form of essey that is supposed to be short.) So I would write my three pages with a rasonable flow and development of a theme and then I had to spent lots of time trying to extend it. In any other genre three pages is little, but for my chosen genre it is just about right. So he wore down my joy of the thing. It stopped being about writing and started being about pages and quantity.

Anyway, that is no excuse for not writing more today. No, today it is my inner editor that causes the lack of writing. And lack of drawing. And almost any other form of creative outlet that I used to enjoy. "It is not good enough." Not good enough for what? being hung up at a national gallery? getting the nobel price? So I have decided to stop listening and just enjoy the process of creating something. Beginning with writing in this blog.

No comments: